Moving to a new home is something that most households will experience multiple times. According to recent statistics, Americans move about the U.S. much more often than households move about in most European nations. In fact, one study shows that as many as 24 percent of American adults reported having moved within the previous five years.
A frequent complaint uttered by those who must move frequently is the expense and time involved in packing and moving their household from one home to another. If your family is planning a move in the near future, and you would like to save money and time during that process, here are some simple but effective tips to help you accomplish your goal.
Save money on packing supplies by using what you have
The average family home contains a lot of small items that will need to be packed for transport to the new home. A good way to save some money and time when packing these items is to use available space inside other items that you own and will be moving instead of buying specially made packing boxes.
Some excellent examples of this strategy include:
- packing potentially messy cleaning products inside the washer drum and then taping it shut
- using the inside of the dryer for bulky throw rugs and couch pillows
- lining laundry baskets with a large garbage bag and then filling each one with small clothing items, like socks, underwear, and t-shirts
- washing, sanitizing, and drying wastebaskets and then filling them with canned and boxed items from the pantry
- stacking board games on top of each other and using tape to bind them securely together for the trip
- filling storage cubes and chests with DVDs, video games, remote controls, and small decorative objects
- using luggage to hold clothing or small personal items
By filling up empty spaces in appliances and objects you already own and will be moving, you can cut back on the number of boxes you will need to purchase, saving both time and money.
Consider selling large appliances before the move
Another excellent way to save money and time on your move is to consider selling large appliances like washer, dryers, refrigerators, stoves, and other appliances before the move. Instead of paying to move these heavy objects, consider ordering new ones from a local dealer near your new home and have them delivered on moving day. This is especially helpful if your current appliances need to be replaced anyway because they are becoming unreliable or because they will not match the decor of your new home.
For more great advice on making your next move less costly in terms of both time and money, take time to discuss your plans with a moving service such as Four Guys & A Truck well before your scheduled moving date.